[Twisted-Python] [RFC] Introducing six as a dependency

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Jul 27 07:55:17 EDT 2012

On 03:31 am, anis.mourad at gmail.com wrote:

>>Even having full access to MSDN, it can be incredibly obscure to
>>discover
>>which Python version goes with which Visual Studio product.  (Someone,
>>please prove me wrong and indicate that there's a web page that shows
>>what
>>the official python.org builds use and you don't have to go trawling
>>through python-dev archives to figure it out...)
>
>Hi,
>the python source code comes with a directory containing MSVC project
>files, named after the version of Visual Studio product:
>http://docs.python.org/using/windows.html#compiling-python-on-windows

Which means if you want to use pip to install Twisted, all you need is
the C compiler specified by the source for the version of Python you're
building, inferred after making the logical leap that the newest version
of MSVC with a corresponding entry in the PC directory of that Python
source is probably the one that was used to build the official release.

And that's why the idea that pip is unusable on Windows has some
traction.

Jean-Paul