[Twisted-Python] smtp sendmail DSN - NOTIFY

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Feb 28 06:24:09 MST 2012

On 01:48 am, brad.milne at devx.runthered.com wrote:
>Hi all
>
>We're using the twisted.mail.smtp.sendmail(..) function to push emails.
>The
>options one can pass to it are fairly limited. In particular I'm
>looking to
>specify the DSN value NOTIFY=SUCCESS in the RCPT calls. Is
>this implemented elsewhere in the smtp library?
>
>(I can see mention of it missing in 2007
>http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2007-May/015385.html)

The SMTP protocol implementation does not yet support the DSN extension.
Support for DSN would need to be added to the protocol, and then that
support could be exposed via the higher-level APIs like `sendmail`.

I'm not very familiar with DSN, but I think the protocol-level
requirements are fairly minimal - that is, most of the work of DSN does
not happen in the SMTP conversation - so I wouldn't expect this to be a
very difficult feature to add.  Interested in giving it a try?

Jean-Paul