[Twisted-Python] Regression in Gtk2 support testing

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Feb 20 10:56:39 MST 2012

On 03:46 pm, itamar at itamarst.org wrote:
>On 02/20/2012 10:10 AM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:
>>On 03:14 am, itamar at itamarst.org wrote:
>>>The reactors buildslave is a reasonable strategy: have multiple runs
>>>with different reactors as the main trial reactor. Especially since,
>>>even in the absence of this problem, we'd want to continue to have
>>>full
>>>runs under the different reactors because the reactor mixin tests
>>>don't
>>>cover everything yet.
>>... with the caveat that *eventually* the mixin tests should cover
>>everything, and then we will want to stop running trial with different
>>-r arguments.  And perhaps the further caveat that we won't test both
>>of
>>these reactors on Windows, because we've already overloaded our
>>Windows
>>slave capacity and we can't really add more trial steps with different
>>-r arguments.
>
>While this is true up to a point, developers would still need to rely
>on
>Buildbot runs because if you're on Linux you can't test IOCP or kqueue
>locally even if ReactorMixin style tests had full coverage.

Nor can you test them locally with "trial -r".  So... non sequitor?

>So requiring
>one extra "trial -r" in a buildslave won't make a difference to
>developers; they will not be able to rely on local runs for full test
>coverage no matter what.

Right.  It makes a difference to the BuildBot deployment, which may melt
into slag under the weight of increased testing requirements.  Or, more
seriously, it actually does make a difference to developers, because it
extends the length of the "test on BuildBot" phase of the development
process from 40 minutes to 80 minutes, or makes it impossible to
complete sometimes because the extra load has knocked slaves offline,
etc.

I feel we might be talking past each other, but I can't quite put my
finger on how or why.  I hope this email expresses my concerns more
clearly.

Jean-Paul