[Twisted-Python] Running Twisted tests with testtools

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Feb 9 14:20:37 MST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 8:57 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:54 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah. I think the last time I tried there were just too many broken
>>> test cases in Twisted itself, which made the exercise quite daunting.
>>
>> Fortunately it lends itself quite well to incremental change.  One can
>> generally meaningfully fix a single unit test/test case at a time. :)
>>

> Right. At the time it was discouraging because I felt like there were
> a hundred tests to fix one at a time, then add the deprecation warning
> and then a year later get to my actual goal of removing the extra
> iterates. I don't feel that way any more.

This is also a great exercise for a Twisted contributing beginner, at least, if they have some help and guidance from a mentor familiar with the issues involved.  If anyone out there is on the fence about getting involved with the project and looking for an on-ramp that involves manageable chunks of work, test maintenance fixes like these are a great place to get started.

-glyph