[Twisted-Python] Running Twisted tests with testtools

Free Ekanayaka free at 64studio.com
Tue Feb 7 13:49:54 MST 2012

Hi Jonathan,

|--==> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:01:30 +0000, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> said:

  [...]

  JL> As much as I would like to see that happen, I am not ever going to do
  JL> anything about it.

So what position can the Twisted project realistically take? Keep using
trial for testing Twisted itself, but recommending projects based
on twisted to use testtools instead (and deprecating trial somehow)?

Also, from what I had heard it'd be technically not possible to provide
a compatibility layer, is that accurate?

Personally, if testtools ever becomes the blessed tool for testing
twisted-based projects, I would not mind at all to have to replace

from twisted.trial.unittest import TestCase

with something like

from testtools.trial import TestCase

in my tests (where testtools.trial.TestCase clearly provides a
compatibility layer with twisted.trial.unittest.TestCase implemented on
top of testtools). At least for getting me going, and maybe gradually
transition to pure testtools.

However it'd be good if Twisted took a clear position on this, because
the risk is to see trial languishing and testtools never really taking
off (assuming that testtools is the way to go, which is your thinking
afaiu).

Cheers,

Free