[Twisted-Python] Running Twisted tests with testtools

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Wed Feb 8 17:12:34 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Free Ekanayaka <free at 64studio.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> |--==> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:32:27 +0000, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> said:
>
>  [...]
>
>  JL> I know it's bad form, but I endorse everything that Glyph said. Except
>  JL> that I'd add that testtools is awesome and you should use that.
>
> Would you elaborate on that and explain why you come to prefer it over
> trial for your new projects?

That's mostly documented here:

  http://testtools.readthedocs.org/en/latest/overview.html

and in the other docs. In a nutshell: details, fixtures, matchers, and
a bunch of unittest extensions that make it much more flexible, making
it easy to write things like parallel test runners and
AsynchronousDeferredRunTest.

Trial provides an excellent test runner, but for everything else is
pretty much standard.

I don't really have a summary of why ADRT is better than Trial's
deferred test support. It's largely because you get better debugging
information for failed tests (that's what "details" are all about) and
because reactor cleanup issues are more localized to individual tests
due to not having to support addCleanup and making no promises about
what happens outside of test execution.

jml