[Twisted-Python] Running Twisted tests with testtools

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Feb 6 13:37:50 EST 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> In my ideal world, Twisted's TestCase would inherit from testtools's
> TestCase and would continue to provide the same API it does today.
> This might not be everyone else's ideal though, and the path from here
> to there is unclear to me. I welcome your thoughts.

Users still routinely struggle with the one dependency we allowed Twisted core to have - zope.interface. I do still think that's worth it, since it freed us from a significant and complex maintenance burden.  And I do sometimes wish that we could make it an optional or bundled dependency, to give users who have to download Twisted themselves a gentler on-ramp.  By your own admission, however, the person who should be doing maintenance on trial and the person doing maintenance on testtools are mostly the same guy :-).

While testtools' features are nice, and I will likely even elect to use myself it for testing some Twisted applications in the future, I would set the bar very high for making testtools a required dependency for Twisted's own test suite.  Just for starters, the Python packaging ecosystem disaster would need to be fixed; also, the name of the package should be changed to be more unique so that users wouldn't find things like <http://www.testtools.com/> and <https://github.com/ferruhy/testtools> when searching around the web for the contents of the inevitable packaging error message.

-glyph