[Twisted-Python] Weird SSL/TLS issue

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at futurefoundries.com
Thu Dec 27 22:11:46 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Jason J. W. Williams <
jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have an application that uses Twisted Web to listen for an API call and
> when it receives it, the app then connects over SMTP to the specified mail
> server IP and validates whether the indicated user exists. The app has been
> running without issue or modification for close to 2 years (uses Twisted
> 10.2.0). Then suddenly last night it started being unable to find the
> starttls() method on the Connection object when negotiating with any mail
> server:
>
> https://gist.github.com/4391179
>
> We were able to replicate the problem consistently, and determine it was
> not a network issue. The weird part is that simply restarting the
> application cleared the issue and TLS SMTP connections were able to be made
> again. Since the Twisted modules were loaded at startup, I'm a little
> confused on how it suddenly decided  the TLS methods were missing until we
> restarted.

Do you have any code that runs reload(), or twisted.python.rebuild, or
maybe did that manually in a Manhole session? Given how tcp.py is written
that's the only thing I can think of, at least.

Or maybe it's cosmic rays (got ECC RAM?)/hardware problems/memory
corruption. I've seen some utterly impossible Python tracebacks that had to
have been something like these catchalls, which isn't very satisfying an
answer.

--
Itamar Turner-Trauring, Future Foundries LLC
http://futurefoundries.com/ — Twisted consulting, training and support.