[Twisted-Python] Autobahn WebSockets - Twisted based WS implementation

Reza Lotun rlotun at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:09:59 MDT 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Tobias Oberstein <
tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de> wrote:

> No, it's not. From a cursory look at the code (didn't knew it existed):

That repo on Github is based on a Twisted branch that was nearly ready for
inclusion into Twisted. This was back in the day when the websocket protocol
seemed on the verge of stabilizing. Obviously this wasn't the case. I came
along and added cross version support for the next iteration of the protocol
which was then newly supported in Chrome. Then there came the discovery of a
cache poising security flaw that was eventually addressed in the latest
iteration of the websocket protocol. I haven't yet had time to incorporate
it, though I believe there is an open pull request for its support (thanks,
to whoever that was).

> Outdated WS protocol, probably wasnt complete at any time, based on the
> Site class.

Depends on what you consider to be "complete" I guess. It had working
examples and stayed close to the reference Twisted implementation, which was
in the last stages of its code review.

> Autobahn WS has complete, current WS support. Code base is roughly 9k LOC.

Completeness shouldn't really be measured by size of code base. I take your
point that the latest version of the protocol is indeed supported in
Autobahn, which is a good thing of course.

Thanks for Autobahn - it's useful to take a look at. I'll still continue
work on txWebsocket, however, with the intention of:

* eventual inclusion into Twisted (meeting Twisted coding standards, MIT
license, etc.)
* small, simple code base

Hopefully one day if and when txWebSocket is finally merged we can
standardize on one reference implementation (it doesn't have to be
txWebsocket of course - it'd be great if the core of Autobahn could be
contributed...)

Thanks,
Reza

--