[Twisted-Python] Client/Server to stream text logfiles?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 00:09:25 EDT 2011

Hi,

We have several Solaris 10 running an application that generates large text
logfiles

We need to stream these logfiles in realtime to a central monitoring server.

Unfortunately (for both technical and non-technical reasons), we can't use
an NFS-mount. At the moment, we're using SSH with tail -f to stream the
files from the servers to the monitoring box.

However, I was going to look at hacking a client/server up in Python to
monitor for filesystem events, and then stream any updates.

In terms of filesystem monitoring, this is Solaris 10, so there's not really
that much available it seems. Gamin seems to be the best bet, otherwise I
might have to fallback to polling.

On the Twisted side, is the above something that's fairly easy to
accomplish? I haven't used Twisted before, so I thought this might be a good
excuse to learn it. Any thoughts or caveats I should be aware of? Any
existing projects I might be able to leverage off? Good starting docs for
this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Victor