[Twisted-Python] Docs HTML suggestion/request for moving between versions.

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Wed Oct 26 09:58:05 MDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 11:29 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Obviously it's tricky to force Google to put "current" at the top! But
> could we maybe have a little<select>  dropdown in the top-right that
> shows the version, and lets you pick a new one and have the page reload?

Other possibilities:

- Add a big yellow "this is for a prior version, click here to see the
latest version of this page" with a direct link to the same page in the
current documentation set.

- Make a symlink called "current" or "latest" that points the latest
release and use robots.txt to prohibit search engines from indexing the
version-specific doc sets. Google's "sitemap" feature might be useful
here, I've never used it and I don't know if it actually changes search
  result priorities.

Both of these are of course compatible with your original suggestion, so
implementing all three would be possible and useful. Studying other
projects to see how they deal with this could be insightful, but for
example PostgreSQL has the same problem -- even though they have a
'current' symlink, the top result for 'postgresql truncate command' is
from 8.3 which is three releases out of date.