[Twisted-Python] Twisted for Python 3

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Wed Oct 19 08:37:59 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 15:49 +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> I think banana in 3.x *has* to support both types. str is a fundamental
> type in 3.x (think that class names, function names, filenames, etc.
> all are str by default) and not supporting it in a marshalling library
> would be pretty much awkward. bytes is fundamental in a networking
> library and not supporting it would be similarly awkward :)

I'm pretty sure we did unicode support on the Jelly level, *above*
Banana. If we didn't, then we should. But that's the natural place to do
Unicode, not in the low-level protocol. So I don't think banana should
change.

In any case, I'd rather developers have to do a little bit of extra work
being compatible across Python versions (being careful about bytes vs.
strings), as opposed to the current solution, which makes it impossible
to be compatible because it's essentially a different protocol.