[Twisted-Python] Proposed new homepage

Glyph glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Oct 10 09:47:15 EDT 2011

On Oct 9, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Itamar Turner-Trauring wrote:

> Our current page is not good at pulling in potential new users:
>
>      * There's no quick examples of how nice Twisted is.
>      * It takes 3 clicks (3!) to find basic documentation, with lots of
>        scope for getting lost along the way.
>
> I propose to fix this by adding code examples, and relevant direct
> documentation links. A very preliminary pass, still lacking things like
> syntax highlighting, can be found here:
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ProposedWikiStart
>
> What do you think?

This is a fantastic effort.

I don't think it's perfect, but I do think it's substantially better than what we have now (modulo "scalable" which I already addressed in another message).  We should continue to talk about it and work on it, but I think we should switch over to this new and improved thing ASAP.

Unless someone has a serious objection, I think we should replace the front page later today.  (Itamar, do you want to do the honors, or shall I?)

The main thing I'd like to see added next would be some verbiage around twistd plugins, like "running a web server is as easy as 'twistd web --path .'".  I'd really like to stress that you don't need to be a programmer to use Twisted; we aren't ever going to get a good system administration story unless more ops people hear about it and start playing with it :).

One other minor tweak: 'Quick Links' was always a dumb heading.  "More Information", maybe?

-glyph