[Twisted-Python] Twisted Project Jobs Volunteer

Jan Urbański wulczer at wulczer.org
Wed Nov 16 05:29:27 MST 2011

On 16/11/11 13:13, Tim Allen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 01:33:45PM -0500, Glyph wrote:
>> Really the most important thing here though is just to get the
>> automatic mirroring initially set up, not the never-ending
>> ambassadorial work.  That way git users wouldn't _need_ elaborate
>> instructions as to what to clone and how; if we just say "get twisted
>> from github" and have that automatically updated it would be easier
>> for everyone.
>
> I've done some experimentation, and (as best I can tell) it's impossible
> to use git-svn to create a sensible SVN → Git conversion of the Twisted
> repository.

There's a tool called svn-all-fast-export [1] that in my experience is
much faster and is much more flexible.

It has some issues:
  * the documentation is scarce, but after some googling it's possible
to get the hang of it
  * it's a one-off conversion (!)
  * AFAIR it requires access to the actual SVN repository, not just a
checkout

Perhaps it would be feasible for you to get a tarball of the SVN repo,
write a config file for svn-all-fast-export that will make all the
required branches and tags be created and then pick up with git-svn from
that (I'm also not 100% sure that "picking up" will be possible).

Anyway, just wanted to point out a tool that's been used by for instance
Gnome to move from SVN to git and that I had some positive experience
with personally.

Cheers,
Jan

[1] http://repo.or.cz/w/svn-all-fast-export.git