[Twisted-Python] Twisted Project Jobs Volunteer

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Nov 9 07:49:50 MST 2011

On 02:18 pm, screwtape at froup.com wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 01:22:19PM -0000, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
>wrote:
>>Why do we need to do this again?  There's already
>><http://svn.twistedmatrix.com/git/Twisted>,
>><http://svn.twistedmatrix.com/git/Twisted2.git>, and
>><http://svn.twistedmatrix.com/git/Twisted3.git>.
>
>The wiki mentions the first one a couple of times, although strictly
>speaking you need to add "/.git" to the end to get a URL you can clone
>from. Apart from being out-of-date, it seems to be missing a lot of
>branches (there's only 56, and it stopped updating in 2011-03; my
>personal git-svn hasn't been updated since 2010-09 and has 2062
>branches), it hasn't correctly imported the branches under "releases",
>and the only tags are "last_vfs_and_web2" and "releases".

It's out of date because no one who knows how to keep it updated has
taken the necessary steps for that to happen.

Are there other problems with it which can only be fixed by starting
over?

The point I am trying to convey is that performing some one-off import
operation has been done before, repeatedly.  What's going to be
different this time that causes the clone to stay up to date?
>I guess it's not strictly necessary to have tags or releases imported
>if
>the goal is to let people develop patches against trunk, but the fact
>that branches are missing worries me - if a Twisted committer adds your
>patch to a branch, you want to be confident that the new branch will
>actually show up when you update your repository.

Indeed.  Is this something that's addressed by the git command in your
earlier email?

>As for the other two, this is the first I've heard of them. Is there
>any
>documentation about how they differ, are there records of how these
>repositories were created and/or updated that I could add to the
>GitMirror wiki-page?

I have no idea where they came from or how they differ.

Jean-Paul