[Twisted-Python] Twisted Project Jobs Volunteer

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Wed Nov 16 22:46:45 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 08:17:51AM -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> The solution that I've come up with is to use git-svn to create a
> separate Git repository for each branch, and then git-push that branch
> into a central Git repository.  This does burn *a lot* of disk space,
> but only one person needs to do it - everyone else can clone the
> central repository.  The initial setup takes a while, but subsequent
> runs should be relatively fast.
>
> You can see the converted repository I'm building at:
>
> https://github.com/jcollie/twisted
>
> It's still in the process of building up so not all the branches are
> there yet.

Oooh. That's looking pretty good. As you say, not all the branches are
there, and none of the tags, but I can see you've already successfully imported some
of the tricky release branches.

> I've put the script that I'm using here:
>
> https://github.com/jcollie/twisted-svn-convert
>
> One feature that I'd like to add before calling this final is
> converting SVN usernames to "proper" names/email addresses like Git
> prefers to use.

I see your script repository already has the beginnings of such
a mapping file; unfortunately you've already filled in most of the names
I recognise, and I don't know if there's any other authoritative list of
such information (and of course, it would need to be updated as Twisted
adds new committers).

The "how to mirror Git to SVN" section of the Git FAQ includes
information on how to take a cloned git repository and add git-svn magic
so you can commit to the original upstream repository; I guess that
wouldn't really work with your custom import script.

I think this would be a much better base for an Official Twisted Git
Mirror than anything I've come up with so far. How difficult would it be
for somebody unfamiliar with Git (such as, say, the Twisted core devs)
to keep running?