[Twisted-Python] Twisted Project Jobs Volunteer

Tom Davis tom at recursivedream.com
Wed Nov 9 09:30:57 EST 2011

On 11/09/2011 07:49 AM, Tim Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 12:50:23AM -0800, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Tim Allen wrote:
>>> As far as I know (having written most of the documentation in the linked
>>> wiki page, and from a brief skim through the git-svn manpage) it's
>>> impossible to make a "shallow" clone with git-svn (something like an
>>> ordinary "svn checkout", or "git clone --depth N"), so anyone who wants
>>> to contribute to Twisted via git needs to clone the repository from
>>> scratch (potentially overloading the SVN server, although nobody seemed
>>> to notice or complain when I was doing my git-svn clone), or just copy
>>> a tarball of somebody's comprehensive, elaborate, automatic mirroring
>>> setup.
>>
>> This is the part I don't understand.  Why doesn't 'git clone' work
>> right in the face of svn metadata?
>
> Git has a ".git" directory in each repository, and expects certain files
> to be present within it. If there's more stuff that it doesn't know
> about, it just ignores it. git-svn keeps its metadata in other files
> that git-clone doesn't know or care about, and hence they don't get
> cloned.
>
> I guess there's an argument for not cloning them - just because person
> X has particular access rights to an SVN server doesn't mean that person
> Y should have them just because they cloned a repository from X.
>
>> bzr-svn has some metadata it caches about the svn repository which
>> doesn't stick around in the bzr repo or branch, but (from the
>> performance of using it, at least) it doesn't need to stop the world
>> and grab all of that data for most operations.
>
> In a git-svn-cloned repository, ordinary git operations are as speedy as
> you'd expect. "git svn fetch" is slow because (I think) it has to
> separately request each changed file from each SVN revision, and I think
> there's some other operations that are slow because they involve talking
> to the SVN server (like 'tell me what SVN properties are attached to
> this file').
>
>> It would be better (for most users) to point to a canonical way to get
>> access to a git-svn clone than to document how to make one, if making
>> one takes 24 hours :).
>
> Don't worry, it doesn't take 24 hours! It's *much* longer than that! ;)
>
> (as the wiki page states, in early 2010 and from the other side of the
> world it took about a week; I don't have a feel for how it changes over
> time)

It's worth noting that you aren't *required* to clone all eight trillion
Twisted revisions in order to get a working clone. Doing `git svn clone
-rN:HEAD <url>` where `N` is some revision number will only clone from
that revision. Obviously you will not have the entire history of the
repository at this point, but I highly doubt that would be a meaningful
loss for the majority of use cases.

I mean, yeah, it'd be nice to have a full git clone, but if you just
prefer to use git for development and want to submit patches to Twisted
it's hardly an insurmountable task compared to the other requirements
for successfully working a ticket to completion.