[Twisted-Python] Asynchronous code PEP

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Mon May 30 05:25:22 MDT 2011

Hi!

I've just been in contact with Jim Fulton, who was previously mentioned in
the context of developing this PEP, and he's okay with us taking over.

IIUC the PEP involves a few things:

   1. A sane reactor abstraction/interface (although they probably won't
   like pulling in z.i.I) in the standard library which everything should be
   able to implement -- essentially twisted.loop's interface. This probably
   includes a Protocol abstraction too
   2. A simple, potentially insane implementation for it in the stdlib --
   ideally twisted.loop, but probably something like
   asyncore-except-slightly-less-terrible
   3. A way to write code for it, probably involving
   @inlineCallbacks/monocle style yields

The idea here, as Glyph told me at Pycon, I believe, is that people can just
write code that works on most backends. When they figure out the stdlib
thing suck^H^H^H^Hdoesn't satisfy their requirements, we can just say "hey,
it's okay, you can just replace the reactor reactor you have now with the
twisted one and you will get all sorts of wonderful magic to play with".

Am I completely wrong here already or does that sound like a sane problem
definition?

Either way I'm planning to put the PEP draft up on github (actually, I
already have). Whether you like github or not, I think this feature:
https://github.com/blog/844-forking-with-the-edit-button is just too amazing
for writing a PEP as a community process to let pass.

cheers
lvh