[Twisted-Python] Some "spread" objects and comparison semantics

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu May 12 12:50:19 EDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 1:05 PM, exarkun at twistedmatrix.com wrote:

> I doubt anyone remembers the rationale for these methods.  We should err
> on the safe side and preserve the existing behavior.

I should point out that this isn't erring, technically, according to <http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/CompatibilityPolicy>.

For a given behavior whose implementation you want to change, you always have to preserve the behavior, in case someone is depending on it.  If you think some behavior is a really bad idea (and I don't necessarily think sortability/comparability is a bad idea) you can always deprecate it, but you have to preserve it while it's deprecated.

Thanks for asking, though, Facundo!

-glyph