[Twisted-Python] Fwd: Slow data transfer with Twisted + socat + Windows

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 00:23:10 MST 2011

On 9 March 2011 15:02, Michael Thompson <michaelnt at gmail.com> wrote:
> My read of these results is that socat on windows limits the
> performance to 30s and in addition the gtkreactor on windows has
> performance problems.

I'd say it's Cygwin, not socat, but yes.

> pyserial includes an example that makes a serial port accessible of
> TCP you could see if that is any faster than socat.

Okay, I tried that, and with the select reactor, it's great! 3s flat!

With the GTK reactor... still 220s. So, no luck.

> Perhaps you can write a serial to TCP adaptor that encapsulates the
> serial logic so reduce the IO between this application and the GTK app
> to a message like start_sync, stop_sync.

I've only shown the simplest possible protocol here - if I really did
encapsulate all the possible commands and interactions in a
synchronous subprocess, I'd basically be writing all the protocols
twice.

Besides, none of that will help if the GTK reactor can't communicate
with anything properly.

Cheers,
Jason