[Twisted-Python] Deferred documentation.

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Mar 31 00:17:56 EDT 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Tristan Seligmann wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
> <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
>> However, in my experience, a novice's understanding of addCallbacks() is
>> critically important to understanding other uses of Deferred as well; in
>> particular, the "one chain of pairs of callback and errback" concept makes a
>> lot of the behavior clear which might not otherwise be.  If you just vaguely
>> know about chains of callbacks, you can easily get confused.
>
> Anecdotally, I didn't understand Deferred callback chains at all
> correctly until I discovered that addCallback and addErrback were
> implemented in terms of addCallbacks, and how they were implemented.

Great, so, my evidence-free claim and another your personal anecdotal experience agree; I believe this gives us what Science calls a "law", and thus the topic bears no further discussion :).

Seriously though, this is pretty much exactly what I meant.  You don't need to call addCallbacks a lot, but (A) sometimes you do and when you do need it it's important, and (B) it's important for people to understand early in the process even if they're not going to use it a lot.