[Twisted-Python] Slow data transfer with Twisted + socat + Windows

Jason Heeris jason.heeris at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:47:32 EST 2011

On 9 March 2011 03:49, Michael Thompson <michaelnt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does you program just write via TCP to this serial device, it doesn't
> do anything else that could block?

Both the "bare bones" script and the real app writes and reads from
the device, so I wouldn't expect full speed communications. But I
can't see anything else in my script that might actually block.

> Have you tried running this under different reactors?

Yep — no difference under Linux, but the GTK reactor is slower than
the select reactor under Windows (see original email for times).

> Running the windows program against the Linux socat device might help
> to reduce the number of variables.

Aha! Didn't think of that, but interesting results...

socat on Linux, socat_test.py on Windows VM:
  - select reactor: 4s
  - win32reactor: 4s
  - gtk reactor: 220s

socat on Windows VM, socat_test.py on Linux:
  - select reactor: 30s
  - gtk reactor: 30s

Interesting, but not exactly clarifying...

— Jason