[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:19:53 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:31 AM, Laurens Van Houtven <_ at lvh.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Most people who stay on windows do not find cygwin or even CLI tools an
>> acceptable solution.
>>

> So, the argument isn't that git is worse on Windows than it is on *nix:
> it's just that Windows users don't want to use CLI tools?
>

>> cheers,
>> David
>>

> cheers
> lvh

Not in my opinion.  I find hg, bzr, and svn all easier to use on Windows
than git, and I use them all from the command line.

For me the problem is that, while bash is certainly a superior "language"
than Windows command language (a la cmd.exe),
bash does not always map to Windows concepts/assumptions very nicely.  This
often leads to things occurring in unexpected
(or at least unintuitive) ways (for Win32 users).  Even though I use bash
daily on Linux machines, I find using bash on Win32 painful
(yes, even more painful than cmd.exe, which is really saying something!).

Git requires bash.  This makes it painful for me (on Windows).

Also, Git _is_ worse on Windows than it is on *nix.  It's just not as bad as
it _used_ to be.  It's functional.  It works.  But it is difficult to deal
with,
and a lot of Windows users I have talked to (as well as myself, of course)
just don't like using it.

I'm not necessarily saying that that means Twisted shouldn't use Git.  But
it _should_ be considered as a factor.

Kevin Horn