[Twisted-Python] Ways to register stuff only done for backwards compatibility

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jul 5 08:01:29 MDT 2011

On 01:41 pm, _ at lvh.cc wrote:
>By "registration" I meant  stuff where we could put reminders that some
>code
>can be cleaned up now.
>
>Perhaps that means "ticket", if there's some way to mark a ticket as
>being
>only relevant when we stop supporting $PYTHON_VERSION_WHATEVER?

In the past we haven't tried too hard to do this kind of tracking,
because we have actually avoided going out of our way to break Twisted
in lots of ways for older versions of Python after we stop supporting
them.

Going through the codebase and making changing things to use Python 2.5
features *just* because we don't have to make the code run on Python 2.4
anymore is to be avoided.  Instead, code can be updated to Python 2.5
syntax and APIs where changes are being made anyway and/or where the
Python 2.5 version otherwise reduces the maintenance burden.  Otherwise,
it's just busywork from which no one really benefits.

Jean-Paul