[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Tue Jul 5 04:22:25 MDT 2011

On 07/05/2011 06:05 PM, Orestis Markou wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2011, at 10:31, Wolfgang wrote:
>> If you ever want someone contributing under Windows, github with git is not a
>> good solution. For Windows there are good clients for mercurial and bazzar.
>> Git is more a Unix only solution.
>
> I have no vote on the whole moving off SVN, but as a former windows user I'd like to make it clear that git has absolutely no issues with Windows and it has been so for 3 years now. Either in cygwin or by using the (officially linked from the git home page) msysgit standalone package, you get a completely functional git CLI tool plus a completely functional and awesome gitk graphical interface. I've been using that for a full year (including git-svn) and it's been working completely fine. (Of course it may have other limitations that I'm not aware of, but I haven't come across them).

Most people who stay on windows do not find cygwin or even CLI tools an
acceptable solution. I think it is fair to say that git is a very unixy
tool, and windows not its strong point when compared against bzr or hg
(and I say that as someone who find git UI significantly better and
easier then either bzr or hg). The situation on windows is consistantly
improving though, with tools like smartgit which feel much more native
to the typical windows user/developer.

cheers,

David