[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Laurens Van Houtven _ at lvh.cc
Tue Jul 5 04:15:24 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Wolfgang <tds333+tx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you ever want someone contributing under Windows, github with git is not
> good solution.

Why not? I know the reasons three years ago (and most of them were either
permissions or performance), but I have been assured multiple times that
this is no longer the case at all.

> Also python has moved to mercurial and bitbucket catched up in features to
> github. Why should we move to a "no Python system" ?

Because the community on Github is significantly larger.

At some point, this devolves into bikeshedding. Twisted devs would prefer
Launchpad, but many people hate Launchpad with a passion. Between Github and
Bitbucket, as you've said yourself, Bitbucket is playing feature catch-up
(whether they're doing that successfully or not is something I'm willing to
skip discussing). I don't think features are the thing to differentiate the
two on (even though I think Github wins because of polish). It's network
effects. Github has more following, so it's more interesting.

The thing is, it's not so much a vote. This is a do-ocracy. The breaks were
"I'll move it to Github, *or* someone stops me", not "I'll move it to
Github, or Bitbucket, or whatever else you folks think is a good idea". If
people are going to try and stop me from moving it to Github, I'm not going
to move it to Bitbucket or anything else. It's just going to stay Trac/SVN.

Regards,
> Wolfgang

cheers
lvh