[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Orestis Markou orestis at orestis.gr
Tue Jul 5 03:05:33 MDT 2011

On 5 Jul 2011, at 10:31, Wolfgang wrote:
> If you ever want someone contributing under Windows, github with git is not a
> good solution. For Windows there are good clients for mercurial and bazzar.
> Git is more a Unix only solution.

I have no vote on the whole moving off SVN, but as a former windows user I'd like to make it clear that git has absolutely no issues with Windows and it has been so for 3 years now. Either in cygwin or by using the (officially linked from the git home page) msysgit standalone package, you get a completely functional git CLI tool plus a completely functional and awesome gitk graphical interface. I've been using that for a full year (including git-svn) and it's been working completely fine. (Of course it may have other limitations that I'm not aware of, but I haven't come across them).

Finally, for what it's worth, for me as a potential contributor to Twisted (I still want to help with documentation) SVN is a much bigger barrier of entry than Trac. Even an official git mirror (complete with branches) that I could work against would be hugely beneficial. Git has a lot of local graphical tools that you can use to search, browse history, do diffs and so on, so that Trac+git can be a viable solution, even without Trac-git integration.

Orestis