[Twisted-Python] SURVEY: Have you submitted a patch to Twisted and it never got in?

Albert Brandl albert.brandl at weiermayer.com
Thu Jul 7 03:33:26 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 05:27:55PM -0400, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> Looking at http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3420 now, I see
> reviews with lots of functional issues and spec-compliance/correctness
> issues raised.  There are a few notes on the API as well, but without
> addressing the reviews there, the patch would just have incorrect
> behavior.

This is also my experience. When fixing issue 4378, I received mostly
constructive feedback.

There is much knowledge how to "do things" when working on the codebase,
some of it implicit or spread over multiple documents. During review,
this knowledge was conveyed in a tangible way, using a concrete piece of
code.

I have to admit that it was a little discouraging to receive a long list
of change requests. But the reviewers did a very good job explaining why
things should be changed. This helped me to adapt my patches to fulfill
the standards for the codebase. And it was very satisfying to finally
have the patch accepted :-).

Best regards,
--
Albert Brandl
Weiermayer Solutions GmbH      | Abteistraße 12, A-4813 Altmünster