[Twisted-Python] SURVEY: Have you submitted a patch to Twisted and it never got in?

Mikhail Terekhov termim at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 00:31:19 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Jason J. W. Williams <
jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because they don't always seem to track the ticket branch folders in a
> timely manner. Especially, when JP (he seems to usually be my reviewer :) )
> pushes a modification of my patch to the ticket branch. It's at this point
> trying to merge in from SVN is usually a nightmare.

Why it is a nightmare? Just do svn checkout of "the ticket branch" and
continue your work and submit additional patches against it if needed.
The only problem here that I could see is if you have made some changes in
addition to your patch. But in this case kdiff3 makes it a snap to merge you
changes to the ticket branch checkout.

> My Git copy being tied to an older SVN rev that my patch is based on. SVN
> just seems to lose it's brains when my patch isn't in the SVN commit
> history, because SVN repo doesn't allow me to commit in.

I can't decipher this, could you elaborate?

> DVCS would allow me to branch, commit to my repo, and then let JP pull from
> my repo into his to review and push up to the Twisted repo when he's happy
> with it...and all of the commit history is sane from the original, to my
> patch to his changes, so when I go to pull back down from the Twisted repo
> everything merges sanely.

IMHO the common practice is to accept patches for review and potential
inclusion and pull only from a trusted "lieutenants" (like in Linux kernel
case) and creating patches is not very different in svn, git etc.

Regards,
Mikhail Terekhov