[Twisted-Python] SURVEY: Have you submitted a patch to Twisted and it never got in?

Tom Davis tom at recursivedream.com
Fri Jul 1 14:06:35 EDT 2011

On Jul 1, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2011, at 1:08 PM, chris wrote:
>
>> doing continuous development based on tools like
>> svn and trac is really painful and it's really difficult to motivate
>> yourself to work on a once rejected ticket
>
> Can you be more specific, please?  What's painful?

I always found it especially irritating to come back to a patch later. If I don't already have a patched checkout of Twisted, I need to figure out what revision I was at before (or to actually be safe, make a HEAD checkout), then reapply my patch, hoping it is still valid.

With a fork I can check it out any time, rebase to the current master (or branch I'm working on), having my changes reapplied for me. When I have made more changes I just push it up. No changes to tickets or switching keywords or watching Trac reject my patch file 10 times then clearing all my cookies or whatever.

I've always admired Twisted's standards and process; I think they have made it possible for such a huge project to maintain working order for so long. The tools could use an upgrade, though.