[Twisted-Python] Moving Twisted off Trac and SVN to somewhere nicer

Itamar Turner-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Fri Jul 1 08:14:19 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 12:29 +0200, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:

> Unless someone is going to go all "NO GITHUB IS TERRIBLE AND YOU ARE A
> BAD PERSON FOR EVEN SUGGESTING IT" on me, maybe we can talk about
> planning the transition? :)

Unless I'm mistaken, Github is a proprietary system, which means I'm
unhappy about hosting our project there. At the minimum I'd want a very
good story about how we can get all our data out if we need to. And even
then I'd probably be against it. What's more, we can switch to
git/bzr/hg without switching to a hosted system (e.g. trac with
GitPlugin, and redmine has builtin integration for all of those.). Why
does git imply github?

In my opinion the biggest barrier to new developers is not whether we
use git or subversion or what have you, but the high quality of code
required (coding standard, tests, passing code review). A DVCS may well
encourage more users, but I'm skeptical it will have a major impact.

-Itamar