[Twisted-Python] Names DNS Client too chatty

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 03:40:52 MST 2011

On 01/24/2011 02:43 AM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> Personally I'd say 'false'.  This is technically a change in
> behavior, but I don't think that we should make guarantees about
> emitted log messages.  Practically speaking, I've never seen any code
> which would care about an unstructured log message.  Anyone else
> object to changing it?

I'm strongly in favour of setting noisy to False on all factory objects;
I find their logging tedious, and have a bunch of monkeypatch code in
most of my projects to import the modules and set the class variable, to
I don't have to subclass just to do that.

The structured logging proposal sounds interesting and I'm potentially
willing to give it a go. However, it seems like it would be a lot of
work and that it would be very likely to sit in Trac review limbo for a
while (getting ever-harder to merge the branch back in).

(This is not intended as a criticism - merely an observation that even
tickets for simple problems with patches take a while to get reviewed,
as manpower is of course a precious and scarce resource)

Do you have any thoughts on how it could be broken down into smaller chunks?