[Twisted-Python] Twisted and ipython

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Jan 15 17:50:05 MST 2011

On 13 Jan, 11:43 pm, sandro at e-den.it wrote:
>thanks,
>
>short abstact: manhole is very good, thanks. But I'd need to add
>readline to
>make it usable and I'd need tab-completion too.

If by "add readline" you mean handle input using the stdlib readline
module, you can't really do this (or, I'm sure you can, but it would
involve a ton of coding).  If you only mean "have some commonly useful
line editing features" then you have at least a couple options:

  * invective includes a fully unit-tested line input widget (for the
insults widget library).  This really belongs somewhere other than
invective, it'd be nice if someone pushed it back into Twisted.
However, you can find invective at
svn://svn.twistedmatrix.com/svn/Twisted/sandbox/exarkun/invective/trunk
until that happens.

  * urwid supports Twisted and has lots of fancy things, including an
input editing widget.

Also, we really should get rid of twisted.manhole, because these days
manhole is supposed to refer to the stuff in twisted.conch.  I'm not
sure if you found the latter, but from the warning you got about
twisted.protocols.telnet it seems like you may have only found the
former.

Jean-Paul