[Twisted-Python] Names DNS Client too chatty

Angelo Dell'Aera angelo.dellaera at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 15:45:41 EST 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:03:23 -0700
"Jason J. W. Williams" <jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'd like to get ticket 4021 integrated in some fashion into Twisted.
> Currently, the Twisted Names client issues a "starting" and "stopping"
> log message on every resolution. It fills up the logs and makes seeing
> valuable log messages really difficult in the sea of DNS requests.
> 150,000 resolutions per day is generating 700mb of logs just from the
> start/stop.
>
> The problem is actually the UDP datagram transport that Resolver is based
> on. 4021 proposes to address the issue by wrapping the two log lines with
> "if self.noisy".
>
> I'd advocate this solution as it leverages the noisy attribute already
> expected to tamp down log chattiness. Also, it requires the smallest
> amount of code change as opposed to implementing a filter on the logging
> system.
>
> Honestly this has been a problem for me on more than one project I've
> used the Names client in. It's just untenable in a project with a high
> volume.
>
> Jean-Paul asked me to bring this up for discussion if I wanted to fix it.
> What do others think?

Hi Jason,
I have experienced such situation a few times just like you. At first I
used to invoke twistd redirecting logs to /dev/null but then I commented
such Twisted code lines out in order to be able to have useful logs for my
applications. I really think such verbose logging should be turned off
by default because it is quite useless to the end user and produces huge
amounts of logs which are useless as well.

Cheers,

--

Angelo Dell'Aera 'buffer'
Antifork Research, Inc.	  	http://buffer.antifork.org