[Twisted-Python] SerialPort testing on the Twisted build slaves

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Feb 4 11:36:32 MST 2011

On 08:31 am, michaelnt at gmail.com wrote:
>Hi,
>   Ticket  http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3690 is adding some
>serial port testing. The patch adds code to discover serial ports on
>Windows and Posix and the test uses the first serial port that is
>discovered.

There's also some more stuff about testing serialports on
<http://tm.tl/2462>.
>Will this approach work for the build slaves, or is it better to use
>an environment variable that can be set for each build slave?
>
>Do any of the build slaves have serial ports or are they all VMs?

Last time I checked things were not in good shape.  I don't think we can
count on serial ports on any of the slaves right now.

VMs might actually be *easier* (at least if we trust that the VM serial
port driver behaves roughly like a real serial port driver).  Actually
convincing slave operators to plug something into a serial port is
probably out of reach.

Jean-Paul