[Twisted-Python] Change to ticket workflow

Tom Davis tom at recursivedream.com
Sun Feb 6 17:30:59 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM, <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Last weekend I changed the default owner for all components in the issue
> tracker to be nobody.  I also installed the "DefaultCC" plugin which
> lets us configure a list of users to be added to the cc list of tickets
> on a per-component basis.
>
> The motivation for this change is basically the fact that when people
> see a ticket with an owner, they think that owner is either working on
> the ticket or will be upset if someone else starts working on it.  This
> has really never been the case with Twisted's development process.
>
> Beyond this change, I think it may also be a good idea to remove owners
> from most old tickets as well.  This will probably happen sometime in
> the coming week, so don't be surprised when you look at your ticket list
> and find it empty.

I've been meaning to recommend this, actually. I think "ownership" conveys
something important—or it should. My actual recommendation was going to be
to mass-remove ownership from tickets that haven't been updated by their
owners "recently" and then to institute some kind of reminder email that
gets sent out with a list of tickets you own that haven't been updated in
the past X weeks. This would at least nudge people to close a ticket or
remove their ownership so the ticket will be back "on the radar," so to
speak.

I've probably got a ticket or two that could be considered stale already and
I don't even have many to keep track of. It's just easy to forget week to
week what exactly I've made a promise to work on; I imagine it's the case
for others as well. Many tickets haven't been updated in years and something
tells me their owners won't be strolling back any time soon. Many of those
probably aren't relevant anymore, period. Perhaps being on the "nobody" list
would give them sufficient visibility to be properly triaged.

Just a thought!