[Twisted-Python] Fingering Finger

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Feb 1 14:41:49 EST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Kevin Horn wrote:

> I actually found it very helpful back when I was first learning Twisted.  I admit I haven't really read it critically in several years though.  If it is to be removed, I think it would be a good idea to replace it with something similar (i.e. a step-by-step implementation of a protocol).

This seems to be the consensus about the finger tutorial from people who actually learned about twisted from it.  It's effective documentation, although not perfect.  On the other hand there's some sample bias, I hear a lot more from those people than from the people who couldn't learn about Twisted from it :).

Arguments in favor of deleting it seem to be based mostly on difficulty of maintenance, which are valid, but perhaps overzealous.

The finger tutorial seems better than nothing though, so how about this: we leave it around, but declare a moratorium on maintaining it, and anyone who wants to fix issues with the finger tutorial should be encouraged to write an entirely new tutorial instead, one that would be easier to keep up to date.