[Twisted-Python] Twisted vs jQuery Deferreds (was Re: RPC design questions)

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Wed Aug 24 18:48:14 MDT 2011

Note that as far as I know, MochiKit isn't actively developed anymore.
Google's Closure has a fork of MochiKit's Deferred's, which seems to
incorporate some of Dojo's code as well.

  http://code.google.com/p/closure-library/source/browse/trunk/third_party/closure/goog/mochikit/async/

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Tobias Oberstein
<tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de> wrote:
> Jasper, Allen, Richard,
>
> thanks all for the pointers. I am confused now;)
>
> No, seriously, I need to _test_ those libs, to see what they actually do.
>
> I.e. I suspect the "new Dojo Deferreds" with "then" return something
> different than the broken "then" in jQuery 1.5.
>
> This is all messy, personally, I want the Twisted semantics in JS, but want
> to choose something "mainstream" to make it easy for users to adopt.
>
> Well. I'll give me an hour tomorrow to look into Dojo and Mochikit.
>

> On 25.08.11 02:01, "Richard Wall" <m-lists at the-moon.net> wrote:
>
> On 25 August 2011 00:30, Tobias Oberstein <tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de>
> wrote:
> <snip>
>> I am still wondering why they called the other stuff "then()" when it's
>> not
>> then, but "also()"
>> and "pipe()" is the real <then> ;)
>
> I agree. I had the same frustration a few months ago and various
> Twisted people pointed out missing features in Jquery deferred:
>  * http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2011-June/024146.html
>
> Mochikit is the best (and original) JS port of deferred..Dojo and
> Google Closure both credit Mochikit (and Twisted) in their source
> code. I'm planning to revert back to it.
>
> I guess it would be useful / constructive to compile a list of the
> weaknesses in the jquery / commonjs deferred API and the reasons and
> use cases for the Twisted deferred API.
> Perhaps they can be persuaded to evolve towards the Twisted API in time.
>
> -RichardW.

  Jasper