[Twisted-Python] Status of current proxy support (of various kinds)

Damiano ALBANI damiano.albani at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 02:14:18 MDT 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to determine the current status of proxy support in Twisted.
I've googled quite a bit to find an answer but I couldn't get a crystal
clear picture.
What I mean by "proxy support" is the capability to:
  - act as a proxy server
  - use an external proxy server (i.e. act as a client)
And by proxy, I'm talking in pratice of SOCKS v{4(a),5} and HTTP "CONNECT"
standards.

>From what I've read so far, it looks like Twisted is currently only capable
of acting as a proxy server (correct me if I'm wrong).
A quick search for "proxy" on Trac returns quite a lot of results so it's
not easy to have a good grasp of the situation.

Personnaly, what I'm interested in is the ability for Twisted to act as a
proxy client and thus to connect to an external proxy server.
I've seen bug reports on that topic, of which some are still open:

Add a SOCKS client API
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3508

Socks V5 functionality
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1330

Add CONNECT support to HTTP client
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4969

Regarding this last bug, I was wondering if there could a generic HTTP proxy
mechanism, like with SOCKS, and not tied to the Web client.
Because we might want to use an HTTP proxy for something else that Web
traffic.

What would be nice in Twisted is a generic, upper-protocol-agnostic proxy
mechanism  -- and one that would support indistinctly SOCKS and HTTP kinds
of proxies.

By the way, I'm totally new to Twisted, so forgive me if what I'm missing
something obvious :-)

Thanks,

--
Damiano ALBANI