[Twisted-Python] Twisted Plugins - Implementation Discussion

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Apr 19 10:13:28 MDT 2011

On 02:27 pm, marcin.kasperski at mekk.waw.pl wrote:
>>Part of the discussion was about how to rewrite this in such a way
>>that
>>no python code needs to be run in order to discover all the
>>tapname+description combinations that are available to twistd, this is
>>because of a perceived performance and sanity deficit in using
>>'twistd'.
>
>Have you considered using setuptools entry_points? They are de facto
>standard and work fairly well for tools like paster or sqlalchemy...

I don't think setuptools entry_points are expressive enough to be used
here.
However, regardless, due to problems with setuptools, I don't think
Twisted should gain a non-optional dependency on it (as it would be for
something as core as twistd plugins).  If distribute makes it into the
standard library (circa Python 3.3) then it might be reasonable to
consider depending on it, if it actually manages to fix the issues it
initially inherited from setuptools.

Jean-Paul