[Twisted-Python] Where is buildslave configuration?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 07:59:44 MDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Andrew Bennetts <andrew at bemusement.org> wrote:

> So your problem isn't the version string, but that running bin/trial in
> your Twisted checkout is finding the wrong version of Twisted?

Exactly. But wrong version string was the cause of troubles with debugging it.

> Also, rather than editing random library files, why not just look at the
> output of python -v bin/trial?

I forgot about it, so I've just used python bin/trial --version
..and it showed me the version..
..it was 11.0.0..
..but 11.0.0 is the released version I've installed..
..and the version in the trunk/ (i.e. my working copy)..
..so I decided to modify these versions to differentiate copies somehow..
..because it was 1 minute fix..
..because I forgot about python -v bin/trial..
..which is 1 second test..
..so I've looked up where the script reads version..
..and it appeared that it imports copyright.py..
..which in turn imports version from _version.py..
..so I've modified _version.py in my working copy..
..and got the same 11.0.0 version in bin/trial --version...
.."AHA!", - said I to myself..
..but decided to check ..
.."just in case"..
..because I like to be sure..
..and because you never know who listens to your trac.core.Component..
..or zope.interface..
..or whatever..
..unless you run it..
..so, I've modified _version.py in my installation..
..and..
..guess that?..
..still got the 11.0.0..
..$%#!, - said I to myself..
..[$%#!] * 3, - said I to myself three minutes later..
..or five..
..or more..
..I don't remember..
..but if took less than three minutes, I wouldn't be writing this letter..
..so..
..I compared source trees..
..and found..
..that there is an extra version assignment..
..at the end of copyright.py

So, I wasted some more time (I won't tell how much) to find where is
this funny piece of code in release toolchain that inserts this
version string? After looking at some note that .msi is downloaded
from buildbot, I though "No, that's impossible", but, alas, it was
there. Not even open sourced as it appears.

So, now I am curious why this copyright.py patch is required?

My ultimate goal is to run a complete build of Twisted will all tests
that results in .msi installer on my Vista machine - the machine with
operating system that was in the list of NeededBuildSlaves 30 minutes
ago. =)
--
anatoly t.