[Twisted-Python] Twisted Plugins - Implementation Discussion

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Thu Apr 21 21:01:39 EDT 2011

On 04/22/2011 06:21 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Kevin Horn<kevin.horn at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> cluster****.  So he rewrote distutils with an eye on keeping things nice for
>> everyone.  Project managers, distro packagers, users installing software,
>> etc.  This is distutils2.  In Python 3.3 and up it will be called
>> "packaging".  Once people start using it, it will make a lot of the current
>> packaging headaches in the Python world go away.
>
> Are you sure about that? Where is the list of stories it will solve
> when people start using it, so I can check that my cases are covered
> by distutils2 insurance plan?

[OT]
You can take a look at bento, which is my own response to the distutils
issues we have in the scipy community (but I would expect twisted and
most big python libraries to have similar issues):

http://cournape.github.com/Bento/

It is designed from the ground up with the idea of reliable
customization and complex build supports. It can already build numpy and
scipy with a near 50 % reduction in LOC compared to our setup.py, and
more reliably thanks to using a real build tool in the backend (waf, but
you can add support for a different one if you want).

cheers,

David