[Twisted-Python] Twisted Plugins - Implementation Discussion

Stephen Thorne stephen at thorne.id.au
Thu Apr 7 01:38:34 EDT 2011

On 2011-04-07, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> Because, frankly, Python installation tools REALLY REALLY SHOULD be
> able to install Python files into Python packages.  I'm not sure I can
> make any other assertions quite so strongly.  I'm pretty sure that
> this is a problem that more than one project is interested in solving.
> No other projects are interested in installing '.twistd' files though,
> I can assure you of that :).

This is entirely wrong. Python installation tools are barely capable of
putting entire existing working python packages into a directory that if
you mumble rhymes with "kite smackages".

To expect installation tools to be able to put a python-script into a
nested subdirectory of an entirely different subtree without putting
in __init__.py files, and working with .pth files, and not being insane,
you have to hack things.

kite-smackages/twisted/plugins/myplugin.py installed with any standard
tool without simply hard-coding is a disaster. Putting it outside of
that directory, more so.

--
Regards,
Stephen Thorne