[Twisted-Python] Twisted and SOAP

Einar S. Idsø einar.twisted at norsk-esport.no
Thu Sep 2 02:54:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Landreville
<landreville at deadtreepages.com> wrote:
> That's pretty much what I did as well.
Actually, it's *exactly* what you did. As mentioned, I posted your
solution from April :)

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
<glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> If you want there to be a "recommended way", you can be the one to make the
> recommendation.  The lack of interest in SOAP in the Twisted community is a
> self-fulfilling prophecy: since there isn't much SOAP support, we don't have
> a lot of SOAP people come around, and since we don't have very many SOAP
> people, we don't have much in the way of SOAP support.
> If you would like to change this, please feel free to either contribute
> patches to Twisted web's SOAP support, or to start a txsoap (or txwsstar, or
> whatever makes sense in your context).  We'd love to have someone active in
> maintaining these sorts of protocols, since Twisted is really only as good
> as the protocol implementations that you need it to talk to.

I suppose you can call my reiteration of Landreville's solution my
recommendation. If not based on any extensive experience with Twisted
in any way, then at least based on me finding a solution that works
for me :) Unfortunately, the level of Twisted sophistication I'm
currently at, and also my current requirements for my application,
which only needs to do a couple of SOAP-calls because of one of the
services it interfaces to, leads me to simply having to find a
solution that "just works" rather than develop a better one than what
can be currently done with solutions such as the one mentioned.

Anyways: My application performs the SOAP calls nicely now, and I have
moved on to other issues. Such as the persistent obscurity of
inheritance versus interfaces and adapters. For a guy that has no
experience in object-oriented programming, Twisted has a rather steep
learning-curve. But I'm getting there, thanks to both this list and
the community at large.

Cheers,
Einar