[Twisted-Python] Don't Thread On Me t-shirt proposal

Tim Allen screwtape at froup.com
Thu Oct 21 06:36:48 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:54:59AM +0200, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:
> Yep, sorry, I realise the flag is based on an exclusively American symbol.
> OTOH, I'm not (very) American so it still rings bell for me :-)

I'm not American at all, and I think it's hilarious.

> About the apostrophe: yes, the reason it is currently missing is because it
> is missing on the Gadsen flag. That's also the reason the t-shirt is yellow.
> I'm getting mixed feedback on how important mimicing the Gadsen flag is, in
> terms of:
>  - typeface (this is Cardo 99 SIL. Printing on T-shirts occasionally has
> problems with small, thin serifs on serif fonts.)

I notice that Wikipedia's "Gadsden Flag" page includes a scan from an
1885 school-book that includes a reproduction of said flag, and it
definitely uses a sans-serif typeface. Like most visual designs that
have been drawn and redrawn thousands of times by hundreds of people
over the centuries, I suspect a little variance is permissible.

>  - color (although I like it because it's a Python-related shirt, and yellow
> isn't my favorite color)

The common ingredients of a Gadsden Flag reference seem to be "yellow",
"snake" and the slogan; given how much the Twisted Matrix logo resembles
the traditional rattlesnake (i.e. not very much) keeping the colour and
the slogan close to the original seems important.

>  - apostrophe (authenticity vs correctness - fortunately it's just a lexer
> problem in "don't" and not the far more expensive parser problems of
> your/you're/there/their/they're)

I see somebody tried to add an apostrophe to the SVG version of the flag
on Wikipedia, which was quickly reverted (sadly without a rationale or
citation). A Google Image Search for "DONT TREAD ON ME" shows that both
with-apostrophe and without-apostrophe variants are common, but the ones
without seem more... authentic somehow.

Enough bike-shedding? :)