[Twisted-Python] Inconsistency in ReconnectingClientFactory

Brandl, Albert albert.brandl at weiermayer.com
Tue Nov 9 04:49:02 MST 2010

Hi!

Am Mittwoch, den 03-11-2010 um 15:10 schrieb exarkun at twistedmatrix.com:
> One reason to prefer not to have a fixed value as maxDelay is that
> always picking a random values ensures that you'll never have a stampede
> of clients all attempting connections at once.

This should of course be avoided. On the other hand, it is convenient to
have the ability to define a maximum delay (and the name of the variable
suggests that the delay won't be any bigger).

> It might be best to just correct the documentation for maxDelay to point
> out that it's not actually a hard maximum, just the average value the
> maximums will cluster around.

Maybe it's better to change the calculation such that the random value
is always below maxDelay. If the first parameter to random.normalvariate
is adapted in the right way, the result should always be lower than
maxDelay.

>  That's certainly worth a ticket.

I'll create one, but leave open how to solve the inconsistency.

Best regards,

Albert

--
Albert Brandl
Weiermayer Solutions GmbH      | Abteistraße 12, A-4813 Altmünster