[Twisted-Python] SQLAlchemy and Twisted

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Sun May 9 14:27:24 MDT 2010

On May 9, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Konrads Smelkovs wrote:

> I think that nice syntax contributes towards adoption.

Not as much as consistency and coherency.

> Subclassing deferred and adding a __get__ function that queues calls for future
> Deferreds is at least worth a shot.

Nope.

If you want to implement promise pipelining, Deferred is the wrong place to do it.  Maybe try something that wraps up a Deferred.

Composition > Inheritance.

> Perhaps adding a safety net with allowed function names would help.

Deferred already has way too many methods, so you wouldn't be able to pipeline a promise to anything with an 'addCallbacks' or 'addErrbacks'... or 'called' or 'timeoutCall' or 'debug' (etc).

It's important that these catch-all namespaces be clean, so that edge cases don't have extremely surprising behavior.

> This list could be per "project" -
> storm orm integration would have its StormDeferred and something else
> - its own.

I don't even know what this means, but it sounds bad.