[Twisted-Python] SQLAlchemy and Twisted

Doug Farrell dfarrell at mypublisher.com
Wed May 5 08:00:47 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I've been doing some searching about how to get SQLAlchemy and Twisted
working together in a Twisted application. Though I've found a lot of
information, I haven't seen (or figured out) a good working solution or
definitive answer. The most promising one I've run across concerns
running the SQLAlchemy queries in a separate process (rather than a
separate thread) and communicating the queries between the Twisted
application in one process and the SQLAlchemy application in another.
Does anyone have any good pointers, suggestions, ideas, links to how I
might go about setting something like this up? Here's a couple questions
that come to mind:

1)      Would the SQLAlchemy process also be a Twisted application with
all the queries running as deferreds in the main thread, and blocking?

2)      How would the Twisted process communicate with the SQLAlchemy
process, using something like XMLRPC, calling methods to perform the
queries? Or would the XMLRPC methods convey something more generic like
SQL?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Doug