[Twisted-Python] Release again in June?

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Mon May 3 10:25:25 MDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:49 PM,  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> On 12:18 pm, jml at mumak.net wrote:
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>Some of you may recall that the last Twisted release, Twisted 10.0.0
>>took place in early March of this year. It was my intent then to
>>release 10.1.0 in early June, thus moving us toward a regular release
>>cycle.
>>
>>I am still keen to do this.
>>
>>Does anyone have any thoughts, objections or recommendations?
>
> This sounds great.
>
> Are there any tasks that need to be accomplished before we can do
> another release?

Working from http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/ReleaseProcess...

There are two regressions that must be fixed:
  * http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/3998 (Names module DNS
getHostByName error on certain sites)
  * http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4345 (The sid of
ListenAuthenticator is not a unicode object.)

(see http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&type=regression&order=priority)

We need to make a decision about whether we'll issue a 10.0.1 to fix
these regressions.

There's a ticket that would be very nice to have for 10.1:
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/4320 (Deferred cancellation
documentation)

The process for updating the website documentation is still poorly
understood, I think. The instructions on ReleaseProcess have gaps and
might also have bugs. Ideally, before the release we should make these
instructions clear and correct. Again, not necessary, since we did
muddle through the last time.

I guess for my own sanity, it would be nice to have as many
"regular-releases" tickets fixed as possible, see
http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/milestone/regular-releases. This isn't
necessary though.

I also feel I should say something about deprecated stuff. Not sure what though.

jml