[Twisted-Python] Get Twisted 10.0 in to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Free Ekanayaka free at 64studio.com
Sun Mar 7 06:02:06 MST 2010

Hi Jonathan,

|--==> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:38:36 +0000, Jonathan Lange <jml at mumak.net> said:

  JL> Since we've just released Twisted 10.0.0 and since the release is
  JL> awesome, stable, low-risk and a great thing to have in the next
  JL> long-term support version of Ubuntu, I think we should strive to get a
  JL> "Feature Freeze expection" (aka an "FFe").

Definitely. I guess this involves updating all the various twisted-X
packages.

  JL> I've followed the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess and
  JL> have filed a bug at
  JL> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/twisted/+bug/531977.
  JL> But I need help.

If we want to update all twisted Ubuntu packages and not only the -core
one, I *think* we need a separate bug filed against each of them. A
quick answer on #ubuntu-devel should clear this out.

It looks like the only API removal that could raise compatibility issues
is:

 - The deprecated connectUDP method of IReactorUDP has now been
   removed. (#4075)

I'm wondering if there's any code in Ubuntu packages relying on it.

  JL> The FFe process requires a packaged version of the new release, along
  JL> with build files and what not. I lack the expertise to do this, so I'd
  JL> very much appreciate it if someone here who knows Debian/Ubuntu
  JL> packaging could please package the new 10.0.0 release and attach the
  JL> relevant files to the bug.

Have you already asked Matthias Klose (the maintainer) if he is
interested in updating the packages himself? If not, I'll be glad to
help out.

Ciao!

Free